**Following message updated April 7th 2020**
A big thank you to everyone in the Candlelight Community! This has been a challenging time for everyone. With all that is going on today, there have been many choices of what to focus on. I hope and pray that we will make it through this challenge with stronger family, community and spiritual relationships by focusing on the goodness around us and by contributing to that goodness. A mentor of mine has made it a habit to constantly be asking himself the question, "How can I help?" For a while I wrote that question on my bathroom mirror to force myself to repeat that question in my mind. I found the more I asked that question and acted on the answers that would inevitably come, I was more hopeful and grateful for my abundance.
I am grateful for and admire the abundance mindset of our Candlelight Sports community. Thank you for your patience, trust and generosity as I've navigated Candlelight Sports through this unprecedented time. While some may feel frustrated with the situation... I feel that, I greatly appreciate the outpouring of support from so many of you concerned for my welfare and the sustainability of Candlelight Sports.
Q) How much is Candlelight Sports able to refund for the cancelled season?
A) Unfortunately, our budget will only allow for a $15 per registrant partial refund.
Q) When will refunds be received?
A) All partial refunds have been initiated. If you registered for the cancelled season within the last 6 months, your refund will be sent back to the card used during registration. I've been informed that there is a delay expected in the processing of refunds electronically and should be expected within 15-21 days. If you registered more than 6 months ago, your refund will be sent by check mailed from Chase Bank. Checks should arrive within 7 days. I appreciate your patience while these partial refunds are being processed.
Q) I received a refund, but would rather donate the registration fees. How can I still donate?
A) Yes! We will put your donations to work. Click HERE
to donate into the Candlelight Sports donation pool. Click HERE
for our donation receipt template to record your donation as a tax-deductible donation.
Q) Can registration fees be credited to a future season?
A) No. That is not possible financially, nor logistically. A partial refund or full donation are the only two options. However, I do expect to offer a limited time promo code discount to those from this season. I'll announce the promo code and its conditions by email when registration for the next season opens. Keep an eye on your email for more info... likely during the summer.
Q) Can I have a full refund due to my unique situation?
A) No. Everyone agreed to the refund policy during registration. This policy can also be found in the registration section of the website. Although a pandemic was not planned for in the policy, It clearly states that "No refunds will be made for cancellations due to inclement weather, field closures, injuries, or any other circumstances beyond our control." I've made an exception in this case to refund as much as we can afford. There are no unique situations that warrant a full refund.
Q) How do I claim the income deduction for my donation?
A) Thank you for your donation. Click HERE
to view/print/copy a templated donation receipt that you may fill with your info and dollar amount paid. To find the amount you paid, log into your TeamSnap account by going to teamsnap.com
and logging in with the username and password you used to register. If you forgot your password, follow their instructions. If you have trouble with that look to their support information.
Q) Will Candlelight Sports survive and continue in the fall?
A) Thank you for your concern. It is well placed. I attended a webinar the other day with one of the leading organizations attempting to support healthy youth sports in America. https://www.aspenprojectplay.org/
They are hopeful that youth sports will begin to return in August assuming health departments and schools feel the same way. The majority of attendees believed that a return to youth sports would begin to happen in July. Most attendees believed that youth sports would return by September. Nobody knows, but we hope to be ready to serve our community soon after school returns.
Q) What will the fall sports look like?
A) I have been thinking for some time on the problem of outdoor sports in August. Basketball in August is especially challenging due to the heat radiating off the cement. We are considering moving basketball to the spring after spring break and moving baseball to September for a compressed 5 weeks season until October break starts. These two changes would allow for a better alignment with pro sports enthusiasm and help solve the heat exhaustion risk on the courts in August. Also, we are considering a change to the way we play baseball to improve the competition, safety, fun and learning by playing a Chicago-style 12'' no-glove softball game. I have been experimenting with this game in my own family and have found it to be very promising to overcome some of the challenges of youth baseball. I am still thinking it through. More to come on that. There is a chance that COVID-19 will still keep us from playing before October break. In that case our first sport may be flag football in October. We'll be sure to let everyone know when we will be able to resume sports... I know you are itching for it. Me too! I've had about as much of this social distancing as I can take. :)
**Following message updated March 30th 2020**
We are extremely disappointed to announce that due to the widespread nature of COVID-19 in Maricopa County, the continued closing of MPS and strong urging from state and local officials to not gather in groups of more than 10, we have decided to cancel all remaining spring sport programs.
The effects of the COVID-19 pandemic have been hard on everyone. We want to support you and your family as much as we can. This is an unprecedented experience that is nearly impossible to prepare for. Candlelight Sports is a non-profit organization with a very limited budget. Administrative salaries were discontinued in May 2019 and the organization runs very thin to allow the programs to continue. Fixed costs of equipment, insurance, software, etc. prevent our budget from being capable of providing full refunds to registrants.
We may be able to provide a small partial refund for cancelled registrations. We will be evaluating our budget to determine that amount. If you would like to donate your registration fees, please send me an email at email@example.com. If you itemize your tax deductions you will likely benefit more from counting this as a tax-deductible donation than any refund value that we may be able to provide. **Inspirational note: Some families have already offered to consider their registration fees as donations. This was their idea. Thank you!
Future season partial credit will not be offered because our systems have no way of tracking it and therefore becomes logistically unrealistic.
We are very sorry for this inconvenience and hardship. We hope that future seasons will be able to continue. However, the launching of fall sports registration will be delayed until we have more information. We will know more at the end of the summer as MPS plans to enter a new school year.
Please keep an eye out for more details on refund and donation details. We will post answers to questions received by email on this page by Wednesday evening April 1st. Please check back then for more information.
Thank you for your patience and support. We will continue to do all we can to bless the lives of your families.
**Following message updated March 9th ***
We are sorry to announce our decision to postpone league activities for two weeks until the week of March 30th. This decision has been made following Mesa Public Schools' decision.
I recognize that the AZ Dept of Health
does not currently recommend closing mass gatherings or school and the risk to AZ is low with only 4 confirmed cases of the virus in Maricopa county. However, given an incubation period of the illness of up to 11.5 days, we feel the need to follow the Little League,
MPS and other outdoor youth sports programs to protect against the spread of the virus directly following spring break, a week of extensive travel.
Therefore, barring any changes to the recommendations from state and local officials and availability of coaches, facilities and intersecting schedules, we plan to begin the season on the week of March 30th as normal. We will do all we can to fulfill on the full 7 week season, as otherwise expected. I will update the TeamSnap
schedule to reflect this change. I will remove the calendar image from the website to avoid confusion. The closing social will remain as planned on May 4th at Stapley JHS pool from 5:30-7:30 unless otherwise announced. The 3ON3 Vitilla tournament will remain as scheduled on Saturday May 2nd unless otherwise announced.
Thank you for your patience as we all work with these unique circumstances.